Just because it’s not spring yet does not mean we shouldn’t be thinking about spring. Proper planning and preparation will make it all the easier when the time comes to start your outdoor gardening.
- Prop your Christmas tree in the garden as a winter sanctuary for birds, then in spring trim off the limbs and use it to support vining vegetable plants such as cucumbers, peas, and beans.
- Feed birds and keep birdbaths full of water.
- Prune most deciduous trees and shrubs.
- Clean dust from the foliage of houseplants and keep them in a warm spot away from cold windows and doors.
- Clean and sharpen garden tools you plan to use next spring.
- Order plants and seed for spring planting.
- Have your soil tested and apply any amendments before time for spring planting.
- Start transplants indoors or in a protected location.